Split ends are probably the first sign that your hair is on the verge of getting damaged or is already damaged. Use of harsh shampoo and hair care products, lack of moisturization, non-padded rubber hair bands, and excessive heat styling can cause hair strands to rip up, resulting in split ends. Split ends are one of the main reasons why your hair is not growing long and strong. In this post, we are listing out 14 effective home remedies for split ends, so that your hair would grow long and strong and you can style them the way you want.
Different Types of Split Ends:
Split ends do not spilt up straight from the middle – there are a whole lot of different ways in which hair starts to rip apart. Following are some of the most commonly seen variants:
1. Normal Split: This is the most common type of split. It can be caused by dryness, excessive use of heat, and friction.
2. Baby Split: It’s the stage when the split is beginning to show up. You can trim it out before the hair splits up further.
3. Triple split: The cuticle layer gets splits away and hair gets separated into three parts.
4. Double Y Split: The branches of the split are forming new splits in this variant.
5. Incomplete Split: Hair gets split only at a certain spot, the rest of the strand is intact.
6. Long Split: This kind of a split is caused by hair pins and rough hair accessories, where hair splits at a certain spot.
7. Knot: It is caused by extreme dryness and is in knot form.
8. White Spots: Harsh chemicals can cause white spots in the hair.
9. Deep Split: The cuticle peels at a specific area.
10. Taper: Cortex of the hair gets exposed when the cuticle gets peeled away.
11. Crinkle: The hair gets stretched to the point of breaking with excessive use of heat.
12. Feather Split: Frequent hair coloring can result in multiple splits in the hair, also called as feathering.
Causes of Split Ends:
1. Excessive dryness – lack of moisture and hydration can hair to tear up and the outer layer of the hair to separate from its cortex.
2. Frequent hair coloring.
3. Using a harsh comb.
4. Excessive use of heat tools.
5. Exposure to environmental pollutants.
6. Using non-padded rubber bands and sharp hair clips.
7. Not trimming hair.
8. Using salt water or brackish water to wash hair.
9. Harsh shampoos and hair care products.
10. Using hair sprays.
Tips to Prevent Split Ends:
1. Trim your hair regularly.
2. Use fabric-protected hair bands.
3. Sleep on satin pillow sheets.
4. Go easy with hairstyling tools like hair straighteners, blow dryer, curling wand, etc.
5. Always use a heat protectant before any heat styling tool.
6. Oil your hair before shampooing. Hair oils add a boost of moisture and hydration moisture to the hair and prevent splits from happening.
7. Always use a good conditioner post-shampooing.
8. Use SLS-free shampoo.
9. Apply hair conditioner to the tips of the hair to prevent split ends. Do not use conditioner on the scalp because conditioner will only make hair limp, whereas conditioner at the hair ends would moisturize and hydrate hair.
Home Remedies for Split Ends:
Split hair ends can be undoubtedly treated at home; although it might take time, the results are pretty satisfactory. I do not mean that you should forget your other hair care routines whilst following these home remedies for split ends. Bear in mind, that all these remedies must be accompanied with proper hair care for appropriate results.
1. Papaya Pack: Papaya can actually get your hair alive. All you need to do is, take half ripe papaya (the size of the papaya varies when I say half and of course the length of your hair too), skin and deseed it. Blend it into a pulp and add half a cup of yogurt to it. Mix the both, and apply a creamy layer onto your hair. Make sure you part your hair well, for applying the pack. Leave it on for like half an hour and take a normal head wash.
2. Castor Oil: Mix castor oil, olive oil and mustard oil in equal proportions. Massage this amalgamation of oils into your hair. Wrap your hair with a towel and leave for around 30 minutes. Have a normal hair wash.
3. Milk and Cream: This is a tried and tested grandma’s tip for split ends. All you need to do is take half a cup of milk, and mix in one spoon of cream. Blend and beat thoroughly, now apply this onto the scalp and hair tips. Let it be on for around 15 minutes and wash off normally.
4. Honey: Honey basically nourishes the split ends. Take half cup of curd and mix it with a tablespoon of honey. Beat it well, and apply to the strands and tips of the hair. Leave it on for around 20 minutes, wash off as usual.
5. Beer: Beer! Beer is just not meant for your parties and celebrations, but it can give you wonderful hair too. Its one of the most effective conditioners, all you need to do is take some beer in your palms and massage it into the hair. Ensure that the beer has soaked into your hair follicle. Now wash off, be careful while washing of, you may just have a lingering smell of beer in your hair.
6. Dal or black lentil pack: You need half cup of black dal (lentil) for this, mix it with a spoon full of fenugreek seeds, grind the both into a powder. Now add around half cup of curd into it and mix them all well. Apply it on your hair and leave for around two hours. Wash it off with a mild shampoo for best results.
7. Egg: Take one egg yolk and beat it with a tablespoon of almond oil and apply on your hair and massage into scalp. Keep it on for an hour and wash away regularly. Beat an egg yolk with a spoon of water and apply the mixture on damp hair. Massage it in your hair and wash off regularly. You can also beat 2 eggs with one banana and orange juice into a paste. With the help of the comb apply this mixture at the hair ends, wrap your hair with a shower cap or a towel and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash off regularly, you can do this like twice a week if you have real bad split ends. ð
8. Olive Oil: Our beloved olive oil never fails us, never ever. ð For treating split ends, warm olive oil must be massaged into the hair. This acts as a deep conditioner. All you need to do is, heat olive oil in your oven, and then apply it, pull up your shower cap and loaf around the house for around 30 minutes. ð Wash your hair as you do regularly.
9. Jojoba Oil: Mix few drops of jojoba oil with your regular shampoo and conditioner for extra moisturizing and softness. You can even massage with it after or before shower.
10. Avocado: Avocado moisturizes the hair. Take an avocado and mash it up. Dampen your hair now, and apply the mashed avocado on the hair, concentrate on the split ends. You can also add a spoon of olive oil in it for a more moisturizing effect. Leave it on for 15 to 30 minutes and wash off. You can also mash banana and avocado together with a spoon of olive oil and apply the paste on your hair. This serves as an awesome conditioner. ð
11. Mayonnaise: Yumm! Mayonnaise is an alternative to avocado, if you cannot find an avocado, simply apply mayonnaise on your hair, and concentrate on the split ends again. This can be done twice a week.
12. Vitamin E capsules: Break open a vitamin E capsule and squeeze out the oil. Mix it with warm water and massage into your hair. Leave it on for around 20 minutes.
13. Oils: Massage regularly with coconut oil, walnut oil or almond oil after shampoo, you can also leave on these oils overnight. If you want extra conditioning for the hair, use a shower cap. A mixture of olive oil, almond oil and mustard oil is great for moisturizing hair. Amalgamating coconut oil and almond oil together also soothe the hair and cure split ends.
14. Honey: Honey supposedly has moisturizing properties. Take around 4 spoons of honey (this depends on the volume of your hair) and apply it on your split ends. Leave it on for around 20 minutes and wash off regularly. You can also amalgamate honey with your regular conditioners for a soothing effect. Mixing equal parts of olive oil and honey also serves as a great natural conditioner.
7 Best Shampoos for Split Ends
10 Best Hair Products For Split Ends
Organix Nourishing Coconut Split Ends Mender
Can Coconut Oil Fix Split Ends
Velaterapia Brazilian Technique to Tackle Split Ends Without a Haircut